Wednesday, March 07, 2007

March 7, 2007

Another first last night and it was a really good one.

I'm pretty sure that Jakob is reading. I've gotten him a few audio books and he loves 'em. "Green Eggs and Ham", "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", "Moonbeam Bear" and two Beatrice Potter stories, "Tale of Peter Rabbit" and "Jemima Puddle-Duck". He puts the cd in and points to all the words as he reads along with the cd. It's very cute.

He requests my involvement with "Moonbeam Bear" and "Tale of Peter Rabbit" so I sit next to him and point to the words with him. After a very inspriring reading of "Peter Rabbit" last night, he wanted me to read "Jemima Puddle-Duck" to him without the cd.

Jakob has rarely had the time, patience or interest in being read to...especially a long story. So I was a little surprised that he was wanting me to do it. I plopped him on the couch next to me and we read the whole darn thing. He turned the pages and was engaged the entire time. I was like "wow". It was so nice just sitting there reading a book to him. A simple pleasure...one of those simple pleasures that I've waited a long time to share with him.

After the reading was done and he was just sitting there nestled under my arm, we had a little chat. I told him how I know that he's having all kinds of thoughts and ideas running through his head and how I want so badly to know what they are...that we're trying so hard to help him find the way for him to tell us...and that I needed him to keep trying. I told him how much I loved him and believed in him. I think he got it. And as I sat there smiling at him with tears running down my face, he laid down, grinned at me and fell asleep.

Firsts are the best...

1 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,
I listen to your show every morning on my way to work. I love hearing about your son. I am a special ed teacher, and work only with autistic children. I love hearing about milestones. It seems many autistic children love rhyming books, you should try more of those!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home