Monday, November 12, 2007

November 12, 2007...I'm learning

Jakob really loves the computer...a lot. It's a bit of a conundrom. Some of the things he's doing on starfall.com are educational...BUT, what Jakob needs more than anything is to work on language and connecting with other people. He ain't getting much of that if his face is buried in the computer. The compuer is gonna have to go.

Hopefully, that transition won't be too tough. I've been out of town for a few days and he's been without it. I hear he gave Grandma a little bit of grief, dragging her all over the house and checking all of my hiding places for it. But he recovered from the disappointment and played with her instead. We'll see what happens when I pick him up from school tomorrow. The challenge is gonna be...how am I gonna check my e-mail or write journal entries?? I guess I'll just have to be out-of-touch after 3:30pm...oh well, just hanging with him is more fun anyway. I can write in the afternoon.

The healing of myself is coming along beautifully...too bad it's not an overnight thing. But that's ok. I'm enjoying this learning process, I'm an enthusiatic student again. And the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn. And I'll learn it...and then learn some more.

I just had an AMAZING weekend where I learned a lot. My quest that will lead me to opening the door for Jakob continued. The door that, if he chooses, he can walk through and join us in our world. It's ultimately up to him, I just have to open the door.

And open that door, I will. I know it. It feels good to have that confidence.

It's too tough for me to explain right now. I'm still processing all the information. But there will come a time when I'll be able to share what I'm learning with every parent living with Autism.
In the meantime, I'll keep sharing bits and pieces of what I'm doing...

And today, my number one priority is to find a place to hide the computer. I'm gonna have to get rid of all electronic toys too. They gotta go. No human being can compete with a toy that lights up, makes noises or plays music. Forget about it. I'm not gonna get rid of everything all at once though, that's just mean. My goal is to have him off all the stuff by January. A new year, a new way of living with Autism...and it's going to be so much fun for everybody, especially Jakob!

I can't wait!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home