Tuesday, November 13, 2007

November 13, 2007...the song

Oh brother...the Dynavox apparently took a tumble...good thing it's under warranty. Big fat crack in the top, left corner...would have been nice if someone would've told me about it. Something like this would've set me off...but not anymore. I'm the calm, cool-headed Jennifer now who simply handles it. We'll get a new one and I'll breathe.

Absolutely no computer problems today! He made it beautifully (so far), he hasn't even asked for it! (maybe because his Dynavox doesn't work..)

He's downstairs doing PT right now so I have a few minutes.

I think he's coming down with a little cold. He's dragging a little and has a runny nose. I've heard a few sneezes too so I've given him some Zicam. We're at the time of the year for chapped lips too...except it's never his lips that are chapped. It's the skin right under his lips. He lets me put some Burt's Bees on it, then he licks it and makes a nasty face. I guess it doesn't taste very good but he lets me do it. That alone is a wonderful thing. I remember the days when I'd have to hold him down to do anything to him. He's become much more trusting.

He's pretty great with his supplements and the anti-fungal too. We actually give him his supplements in prune juice (eww) and he takes it like a champ. I'm so proud. We're gonna have to get some blood work done soon...I can only hope that goes well (I'm thinking positively).

As we gear up for a new year and a new approach to Autism, I'm gonna spend a lot of time observing Jakob. To really do that, it takes keen eyes and ears. Like tonight, there's a song he's singing...a definite specific song. It took a couple of times to figure out since the words are uninteligible...and it's a song from freakin' starfall.com. For cryin' out loud. I can totally hear the "starfall bus" part from the chorus. What a trip.

I'm just gonna follow him around, watch what he does and listen to what he says. Every opportunity I get to play with him, I'll take but he's in the lead. Now that's a new concept...Jakob's in charge. Right.

It's a heckuva lotta fun now, getting into his head since his head is a pretty content place these days. It isn't filled with anger, fear and frustration like it used to be. I'll keep ya posted on what I see and hear. For today, it's "starfall bus"...catchy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home